Monday, September 24, 2012

Intro (Part 1)

My name's Ryan, if you couldn't tell from the name of this blog.
If you haven't read my first blog, you should. It's called Annoyances. Go check it out.
*This blog does not mean I'll be canceling the other one. I'm just adding another, stop freaking out.*

Anyway, I decided to start posting things more opinion-based on topics other than irksome ones and share with you guys more about things I'm into at the moment that I'd recommend. I guess I'll also be posting about things I wouldn't recommend. This blog will be based on the music, movies, and books I'm interested in. I'll post pictures along with my overall reviews on each, and you'll love it.

Good. Now that we're on the same page, I'll start the introductory post with my favorites in each category. They're nothing recent (well, some more recent than others), but I get to elaborate a little more on some topics I touched upon in my intro to the other blog. (Which I still say you should check out, by the way.)

Let's start off with my favorite movie. If you already know what it is, then I applaud you for either A. Knowing me personally already, or B. Reading my other blog, which you deserve a cookie for.
Knowing you deserve a cookie, you should also know my personality and blatant demeanor, which should tell you that no, you're not getting one. You'd have to get yourself the cookie. You should just be proud that you've accomplished something while reading this blog.
My favorite movie is John Carpenter's Halloween

Yeah, the night he came home! And everyone died. The end.
Just kidding- I won't reveal spoilers here. If I do, then I'll warn you beforehand. Or not... I probably will.

OR WILL I!?!?!?
Okay, I'll stop being extremely corny now and get to the chase. 
That picture above this text is John Carpenter's beloved children's character, Michael Myers!
That is, if you consider being a creepy stalker, heavy breather, and occasional murderer is G-Rated. Which it's not. Halloween was both directed and written by Mr. Carpenter himself. He also composed the classic eerie music for the film, which alone makes him a master of horror in my book.


If this isn't frightening just to hear, then you're probably Michael Myers himself, and in that case- can I have your autograph?

Carpenter managed to sew together the basis for all modern slasher films. You've got your slightly (maybe more) nerdy main character, who is in most cases a girl, you've got the best friend, who may or may not be a slut, you've got your definite slut, and you've got your guy characters, who may or may not be important to the story at all. Also, you should have your mixture of helpful adults, hopelessly useless adults, children who are building blocks to the story, and children who annoy the crap out of anyone anytime they open their traps.

Yes, that means you, Lindsey Wallace. You're loud, annoying, and I'll bet Laurie Strode thought once or twice about sacrificing you to the killer, you brat.

(Laurie Strode is Jamie Lee Curtis's character, who plays the first character slot I mentioned. I like to call her the Scream Queen.)

Anyway, I'm not here to summarize the movie for you. Go watch it yourself, lazy- this is cinema gold here, and it should be the number 1 thing on your bucket list. But this movie intertwines utter, terrifying silence, a lack of blood and gore, and a white mask that can be unrecognized by no one. While the theme music to Myers' quiet rampage is bone-chilling, the silence that often entombs him while he stares into your soul is unbeatable.

So, placing itself at the top of my favorite movies of all time list, John Carpenter's Halloween is a masterpiece from all angles. Sure, there are other horror movies that came before it and kick-started the genre, but this movie defined it. 
(I don't like rating things along number lines, because if I rated this out of ten, I'd give it a hundred.)

PS: Yes, I did love Rob Zombie's "re-imagination," and his sequel. They took Carpenter's story and rewound it a little bit to show some backstory. And of course he stamped it with his signature over-the-top blood, gore, and boobs. But for reals, Zombie showed the killer's human side, as well as the monstrosity that wields the oversized kitchen knife.

PPS: This blog was long. I'll continue my intro reviews in a 'part 2' post.


No comments:

Post a Comment